Made in Canada Bands
Exemplary Artwork by Sarca @ caughtmegaming
Sometimes it’s OK to admit defeat.
Case in point #1: Joining an already ridiculously long line on December 24th with hungry & tired children, only to wait for a less-than-inexpensive photo with Mall Santa, probability of tears during said photo shoot being 50/50.
Key to success: Acknowledge no-win situation, try to have a bit of fun during the approximately 90 minute wait (playing I spy & other diverting/distracting games), and hope for the best. Overlook lack of smiles, celebrate lack of tears in photo as a modest success!
Case in point #2: Trying to create a list of the Top 5 Canadian Bands.
Key to success: Acknowledge no-win situation, try to have a bit of fun instead by creating an approximately 90 minute ‘Made in Canada Bands’ mixtape. An actual, physical mixtape, made in real time. Overlook the egregious omissions (Rush, Arkells, Great Big Sea…) due to the limited CD-to-cassette compilation capability, celebrate the inclusion of a couple dozen bands (instead of just 5) as a modest success!
1. Thrush Hermit, From the Back of the Film
2. The Watchmen, Incarnate
3. I Mother Earth, Another Sunday
4. Matthew Good Band, Strange Days
5. Johnny Favourite Swing Orchestra, Bessie Smith
6. The Good Lovelies, Crabbuckit
7. The Tragically Hip, Ahead By a Century
8. 54-40, Since When
9. treble charger, Even Grable
10. Hot Hot Heat, Get In or Get Out
11. Wide Mouth Mason, Why
12. Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies)
13. The Weakerthans, Left and Leaving
1. Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Having an Average Weekend
2. Stars, The Night Starts Here
3. Sandbox, Carry
4. Our Lady Peace, Naveed
5. Zuckerbaby, Andromeda
6. Age of Electric, Don’t Wreck It
7. Cowboy Junkies, Mining for Gold
8. Moist, Leave it Alone
9. Odds, Eat My Brain
10. BNL, Be My Yoko Ono
11. Sloan, Flying High Again
12. Blue Rodeo, Hasn’t Hit Me Yet
And that concludes both Made in Canada December and the calendar year of 2015.
Thanks for participating, Happy New Year to all!