The Who – The Who Sell Out (1967)
A few weeks ago, a friend sent me this video along with the (absolutely accurate) message, “this is right up your alley.”
The same can most definitely be said for The Who Sell Out (TWSO).
I present the following advice for aspiring musicians:
“How To Get a Rave Review from stephen1001”
In 7 easy steps!* Guaranteed Results!!** Or Your Money Back!!!***
2. Destroy my first impression of your music. I didn’t really get The Who’s appeal until I heard Live at Leeds. If I respected the group after that one, I’m now a full-fledged fan.
3. Include some tasty tambourine. The simple added percussion is the highlight of my favourite tune here, Can’t Reach You.
4. Fake commercials don’t hurt. My favourite part of SNL/Rick Mercer Report/This Hour has 22 Minutes? The faux ads. The promos sprinkled throughout TWSO aren’t supposed to be as laugh out loud hilarious but they are still fun.
5. Make the packaging a priority. Check the album art above for inspiration.
6. If possible, be from the UK in the 1960s.
7. Most important of all, make each second of the running time count. In the case of TWSO, all 2326 seconds represent time well spent.
Follow these steps & your favourable review awaits!